Monday 21 July 2008

back to the drawing board


I'm now illustrating the chapter on trees for the Bristol Downs wildlife book, so I've been out on the bike collecting leaves so that I can draw them. The ash was really pongy; a not unpleasant smell to start with, but I was thoroughly tired of it by the time I'd done this drawing.

I stopped off at Peregrine Point while I was out, and watched three juvenile peregrines having a mock dogfight over Leigh Woods. They swooped and flicked between the trees and dived into the gorge and... it was quite a show. I'm lucky to have this sort of thing five minutes from home.

6 comments:

  1. Not only illustrations but smells as well...

    The joy of being self employed. This afternoon I was on Mont Blanc watching a steam train, then I popped to Amalfi and looked at the view from the terrace of a hotel and to finish admired Newfoundland Cathedral.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful illustration Dru

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a heck of a business trip, Anji. Not charioted by Bacchus and his pards, but on the view-filled wings of Postcards... (sorry)

    Thanks, Jo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dom would like to know what you paint with, we both love the colours you use.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you do a hogweed pic, I'll know what I'm looking for. If I go anywhere it might be lurking. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Anji. I use Canson 250g/m2 illustration paper, though if I want to get heavier colour I use Daler Rowney Langton extra smooth watercolour paper, otherwise the colour pools on the surface.
    I outline in Indian ink with a dip pen, or if I'm lazy I use a Rotring, which gives a more consistent line (which can be either good or bad). And colouring is with Cotman watercolour, or if I want a block of bright colour I use inks. (Using good watercolours is essential; I tried some cheap ones from LIDL last month, and it made a horrid mess.) And then I draw on the fine stuff with coloured ink and dip pen. And sometimes add texture with soft pencil.

    It doesn't lurk so much as leer, Mandy. There was one looking over a hedge near Llangybi a few weeks ago, radiating what-you-looking-at-ness. But we didn't stop.

    ReplyDelete