Wednesday 11 February 2009

einstürzende neubauten, or possibly not

The Colston Hall is a big entertainment venue in Bristol. I last went there about fifteen years.... hang on..... blimey, make that twenty years ago, to see Hawkwind ("It's a back brain stimulator
It's a cerebral vibrator Got an orgone accumulator" Whoa, get down). The place was named after Edward Colston, who made his money from the slave trade. Bristol band Massive Attack refuse to play there because of the connection.

It's funny how you can walk, drive or cycle past somewhere for ages without noticing something about it. I stopped outside the Colston Hall last summer, when I was road testing a new guide book, Discover Bristol On Foot, by Robin Haward and John Dennis, for a review I was writing for the Bristol Review of Books.

The book guides you through the city and asks questions which you can answer by looking around as you go. Thus, for this location,

14:11. I’m outside the Colston Hall, whose façade I am invited to admire. “What are the three activities shown in stone on the wall?” Er…. Gay sex, striptease and ice skating? Good grief. Eclectic taste in entertainment, our grandparents had. (Answer: Wrestling, music and dance. If you say so, guide book)
And so I passed on, and thought little more about it.

So this morning I'm idly Googling my own name (as one does....) and I find that I've made a comment on the new building next to the Colston Hall, on a feature about it on the BBC Bristol website. This is what my contribution says:

What an amazing improvement to the auditorium and backstage facilities this has made.....NOT!
Dru Marland, Bristol
....except that I didn't actually say anything. Someone has been pretending to be me. How odd.

It's an interesting take on identity theft; it could be a lot worse, but I really wouldn't use the word 'amazing'; and the capitalised NOT and exclamation mark? -I don't think so.

It got me thinking, though. If you were so inclined, you could write something purporting to be from somebody else, in which you casually split an infinitive, or expressed a keenness for the songs of Daniel O'Donnell, or salad cream, or large motor cars. The possibilities are almost certainly endless. Rather than ruin someone's reputation (if indeed they have one in the first place) you could make them seem ever so slightly off.

Anyway, having not given it much thought until today, I decided that I really ought to have an opinion about this alleged carbuncle. So I popped down there with my camera. Here it is, look.



...yup. It's OK. I can live with that. As John Fortune says, "I'm sorry, I just can't see what's wrong with this relationship."




15 comments:

  1. I hate to say this but it's more than 30 years since I saw Hawkwind at Malvern Winter Gardens. I also saw Supertramp before they were famous and I'd not long read the book. And Colin Blustone walked right past me in hes Argent days; he was the first man I ever saw wearing makeup. - sorry, got a bit carried away.

    Those figures in stone are possibly having more fun than it says officially...

    I think it's good to Google. It's important to know what you might be getting up to. I came across a blog once, when I first started blogging, and they were having a lot of fun at my expense.
    However, I am still here - I wonder if they are.

    The new building is very yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cor - Hawkwind... I last saw them in 19..um well I'm not entirely sure... it was in Brighton probably 1987... and they were amazingly good... every note was pure and true - to be honest not something I'd been expecting...

    Identity theft? HOw weird... looks like someone trying to get your attention... though how you find out who did it I've no idea... not like the conservatives been traced to have altered wikipedia today to make David Cameron right for 5 minutes!!

    Now I'll just have to do some googling and see if anyone has been taking my name(s) in vain...

    ReplyDelete
  3. When did Godzilla join your cloud? Looks only slightly menacing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best thing Google had to throw at me was this:

    Need help with Caroline RANDELL, b.aft. 1751 in Gosport, England. Married Unkn. VANS of Gosport, England.
    Issue:
    Caroline and Catherine Vans.
    Thank you, L.F.Randell

    I was definitely born after 1751 but I promise I've never married a van, let alone more than one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goodness, so I am not alone in liking Hawkwind then? I really liked Gong, but they'd broken up by the time I got into them... the Malvern Winter Gardens sounds far to poshe for Hawkwind, Anji; I imagine a string quartet, perhaps.

    I used to drive a van, Caroline, and it was a nice van but I never really fancied it in *that* sort of way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you mean Planet Gong? What about 9.30 Fly? Malvern Winter Gardens was THE Place to see bands in the early 70's.
    (Just Googled 9.30 fly and there is still interest in them)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw Planet Gong in an upstairs room at a hotel in Newport, on the Floating Anarchy tour in 78 (? -ish), though by then Daevid Allen and Gilli Smyth had left, so it was essentially Here And Now. It was a good gig. I subsequently saw a couple of the reincarnations of the band based around Daevid Allen... never heard of 9:30 Fly, so must do some Googling. I'm currently waiting for an Art Bears CD to arrive, as I've been revisiting some avant-gardy things I used to like, and finding new things I've not heard before. Interesting times.

    I suppose it must have been a similar story in many places; Swansea's Patti Pavilion started, I think, as an opera house, but some of my welsh rocker acqaintances get misty-eyed about the Christmas at the Patti gig back in the 70s...l

    ReplyDelete
  8. The only reason I went to see 9.30 Fly was because my boyfriend at the time had heard that the girl singer did some dodgy stuff with a telescopic microphone stand. I saw Planet Gong in Cheltenham somewhere around the same time as you. All I remember about it is being stoned (did I just type that?).

    Bands don't have names like they used to

    ReplyDelete
  9. Should your "alter ego" become a problem there are those smarter than I out there who can probably tell you how to track their I.P address. I hope it doesn't become one!

    I love the stories of youth...

    alan

    ReplyDelete
  10. If their other gigs were anything like the one I was at, Anji, anyone who claimed not to be stoned would be fibbing. You could get high on the atmosphere alone.

    On the names front, I would probably have liked Hatfield and the North even if I hadn't heard their music...

    I hope so too, Alan. I shall continue to be vigilant.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love your Twitter updates. Must get round to joining Twitter one of these fine days.

    I never saw Hawkwind. Hubby went and never told me till afterwards. Just one of those little things that still rankles 20 years later. Oh well, if that's the worst of it ....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Still working out how to Twitter, L. It's like joining in a conversation in Forren, or something.

    He went off into the night in his loons and patchouli without saying anything? You suspected nothing?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yup, that's about it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I lost my proverbial gigging virginity to Colston Hall. Unfortunately it wasn't Hawkwind (waaaay before my time), but it was the Scorpions in 1981 on a 'school trip'. Does this class in the same league of 'cool' as Hawkwind? I think not, but at the time I thought it was.
    I have however seen the band which is the title of the blog (that surely raise my cool levels a wee bit?)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Perhaps it was guilt made him do it, Liz... I understated my psychedelic musical leanings among my punk friends (though I was v fond of punk too) lest I be thought oldy-moldy.

    I had to look up Scorpions, Rufus. Hmmm. Einsturzende Neubaten gets you loads of Brownie points though, as I've only heard them on John Peel. My first gig was Humphrey Littleton, and I ended up walking home as I'd missed the last bus. So it was *very* memorable.

    ReplyDelete