Sunday 26 April 2009

interlude

I'm grounding myself again after a couple of weeks in space. Some sort of space anyway.

We had our first camping expedition of the year, over in Pembrokeshire, and wandered around the Preseli Hills and joined the migrant warblers saying hello to spring. And swam (very briefly) in a Bloody Cold sea. It was very good, very therapeutic.

And then I had a job interview. It looks like a really good job, involving surveying wildlife, making maps, and stuff; I saw the advertisement for the job and thought "That job's got my name on it."

I took along a couple of my books to show them what I could do, and they made polite noises. I think they liked them.

The only thing was, one of the questions they asked me was about equal opportunities, and I sort of dried up and couldn't think of anything intelligent to say.

So all the way home, and for days after, I was worrying over it and thinking of great answers I could have given and didn't. Like the very simple "Equal opportunities is about being nice to people and jumping on anyone who isn't nice to people." Which may be simplisitic, but goes some way to covering the points arising.

O well, alea iacta est. Now I wait.

And get on with spreading the word about the book readings which are now just over a week away, and for which I appear to be i/c propaganda. Crikey.

5 comments:

  1. very very good luck with the job Dru...cold sea swimming!? I'm from the north-east, and my god that's cold (oh, and I can't swim, but hey)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that you get the job, like you say your name was on that one. I imagine it wouldn't really seem like a 'job', just getting paid for doing something you like!

    I'm sure that the book readings will go well. When will you be doing the French ones?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the job application Dru. I should imagine with a question like that, it's better to dry up and not have anything intelligent to say, rather than jump in and say something stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks lovely... Pembrokeshire in the spring... yum... (we were on Dartmoor and that was pretty good too!)

    Good luck with the job application!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never swum on the east coast, Nicky; the bits of it I've seen have always looked too cold and forbidding. Oh, I fell into the harbour in Aberdeen once, but that was another story. And it was cold.

    Nice idea, Anji. I picture bemused shoppers in Cultura going "Quoi?"

    I hope you're right, Tom.

    It was lovely, Caroline. And since the weather forecast was really bad, we were the only campers. And they got the forecast wrong. Which goes to show.

    Thank you all!

    ReplyDelete