Friday 24 July 2009

chirimiri


Many birds have regional tweaks in their songs – especially blackbirds, chaffinches and willow warblers. Kentish blackbirds often select a phrase similar to part of the third movement of Beethoven’s violin concerto

Geraldine Taylor The Coffee Thrush


After my attempt to sum up How I Attained Enlightenment Through Cycling in fifty words or less (through boko-maru with the pedals, possibly), I got a message from Alan Summers, the haiku man, asking for a single word. He's going to be up on the plinth

I'd like as many people as possible to send me "important words" and I will read out as many as I can during my hour on the plinth.

What's important to you that can be summed up in just one single word?

Is it a word that's important to the world, or is it something personal like someone's name?

All of your important words are welcome whoever you are.

You can give a reason why the word is important to you, but you don't have to. You can include your name, or remain anonymous.

Email your important words to: importantword@withwords.org.uk by 4pm Monday 27th July, or give them to myself or my wife or Beatrice in Trafalgar Square between noon and four o'clock - we'll be the ones collecting important words.
I couldn't think of a portentous sort of word, so I settled for a nice sounding one instead. People who live in rainy places could do with more words to describe rain, probably. And you do seem to get more types in the Wess Vinglun than you do elsewhere. Like that fine, misty drizzle that gets you soaked through in no time at all. The Basques call it chirimiri, I was told by Suzanne who once lived there.

So that's my word. Because it sounds nice. And an attempt to describe it, in seventeen syllables (but not less)

chirimiri

This mist I move through;
I blink it out of my eyes.
My coat’s cold and wet


8 comments:

  1. I'm pleased to read about the accents. One of the blackbirds in my garden has a Scottish accent.

    I sent my word - 'morning'.

    I like the word Chirimiri. Now I know one word in Charentais (can't spell it, but it means snail) and one word in Basque

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, time I listened to some Beethoven while drinking whisky sour and reading your wet haiku---and R.S. Thomas.

    My word is Da, as close to universal as I know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suspect many of the plinth people will all have plenty of words for rain themselves... though none so lovely as chirimiri - it sounds like a cocktail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Scottish blackbird, Anji? -must be something to do with the Auld Alliance. Morning is good. At the moment the only sound is a distant crow. And the occasional spatter of rain on the window.

    Hi, Nicky!

    It features in a few languages, Larry; Welsh, Russian and Morse immediately come to mind :-)

    I think that it will be apposite for Alan this afternoon, Caroline; he's on the plinth between 4 and 5, and it seems to be a chirimiri sort of day

    ReplyDelete
  5. .
    You can hear me say Dru and Katie's "important words"
    at Alan's Fourth Plinth hour slot video archive

    Alan's Fourth Plinth BBC interview
    .

    ReplyDelete