Monday 24 August 2009

take a brake

Yet more tinkering with the car. I was out there grovelling under the wheel arch the other day, when Phil wandered by. He was spotless and dapper. I was greasy and speckled with road tar and gravel (they resurfaced the road not long back, and it's still sticky). He accused me of having the car as a hobby. I tried not to be offended.

It's a tricky one though. I have the car that I do have because I like it, and because I can fix it when it goes wrong, and as time goes by and I fix it more and more, I get to know it better and improve my ability to diagnose and fix problems. Which is very empowering. But I think on balance I'd prefer it to be perfect all the time. Or even slightly imperfect.

Which ain't going to happen, of course.

Latest trouble was a seized brake cylinder on the starboard forward wheel. There it is, look.

...which meant that, when I braked hard, the car would try to swing left.

It was quite useful, the other day, when I was driving through an underpass where the road curved round to the left ahead of me. A van appeared, going fast, on the wrong side of the road. I guess he thought it was a one-way system.

Much squealing of tyres and swerving. And in a moment it was all over apart from my thinking thoughts along the lines of "Blimey, I could be dead now, if I wasn't alive".

So I took the old brake cylinder off and put a new cylinder on, and bled the system through, and went off for a test drive. Because I'd rather be driving than fixing, really.



This is part of an underground fuel storage complex, which, during the war, was connected by pipe to London, stopping off at airfields on the way. There's lots of interesting old buildings around here; there was a heavy anti-aircraft battery here, too.

...and this is one of my favourite places for a Sunday afternoon walk. It's a hill near Clevedon, overlooking the Gordano valley on the one side and the Bristol Channel on the other.


There was a very late summer feeling about the place. The green was being strongly flavoured with browns, reds and purples. Loads of butterflies, bees and hoverflies were giving their attention to the marjoram which grows abundantly there.



And the hazel trees were busy with an extended family of long-tailed tits. A very extended family indeed. Maybe long-tailed tits are Catholics.



7 comments:

  1. What view of the English countryside would be complete without a church?

    "on the starboard forward wheel" makes your car sound ever so big.
    I had a similar problem with a car a long time ago. Dad fixed it, then it sort of went the other way because the other side needed fixing.

    Lovely pictures as ever

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't get away from the fact that all the old vehicles required more or less constant attention to keep them going. They were maintenance-intensive, and so had things had to be easily accessible.

    I had an Indian Enfield a while back. Made in Madras using 50 year old technology and design, it was real fun to ride BUT.... there was no way I would consider it as an only bike, because in spite of routine preventative maintance, one could never guarantee it would get one into work each day.

    Love
    chrissie
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Anji.

    Most folk would say Offside Front wheel.

    But Dru, bless her, is either a true propellor head, or constantly betrays her nautical viking blood... :)

    love
    chrissie
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is indeed a nautical thang, Chrissie. This 'nearside/offside' malarkey doesn't come naturally to me. I remember reading The Waste Land in my teens and coming to Phlebas the Phoenician: "O you who turn the wheel and look to starboard..." and I wanted to be the one who turned the wheel and look to starboard.

    Except that I misremembered it and it should be "you who turn the wheel and look to windward..."

    Thank you, Anji!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One-way roads have a lot to answer for... especially those that aren't.... glad you survived that one.

    That walk looks lovely we might have to discover it too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's just up the hill from Walton in Gordano, Caroline. There's a not-very-obvious path on the right as you go up the road, and a parking place just after it on the left. OS grid ref ST423734

    ReplyDelete